Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Between Trains

As mentioned, a major reason for this nearly three week trek to California was to see the scenic beauty of the West via train; but a strong secondary reason was to see three nephews and their families and a sister-in-law that I have not seen for several years.

After arriving in Bakersfield I spent a night with nephew Brad at his home with Lorraine and Derek.  The next day I lit upon sister-in-law Jean’s doorstep and stayed several days.

In coordinating times and dates for this trip, oldest nephew Brad wanted me to be sure to be there for his mother’s 75th birthday anniversary celebration.  He hosted a nice barbecue party for Jean, with relatives and several of her friends attending.  I have always felt close to Jean, my deceased brother Dale’s wife.  I would visit them often in Oregon and California and watched their family grow.  My nephews  (Brad, Steve and Tom) were also close, although I lived a long way away and could not see them as often as I would like.  Jean traveled across country to attend daughter Lauren’s graduation in 2007 in Rochester NY.

 Happy 75th to Jean...
Great nephews and nieces Dylan, Garrett, Taylor and Danielle

The birthday bash was fun and I got to see old friends of Jean that I knew from the past and some of her new ones.

---

Jean and I took a day trip to nearby Tehachapi, California, and saw what is called the Tehachapi Loop, a unique railway.  I guess this still sticks with the railroad theme of this trip!  The loop is a three quarter mile spiral where the track crosses over itself in order to reduce the angle of the grade as trains pass from Bakersfield and the San Joaquin Valley over the mountains to the high desert and Mojave.  A train more than 4,000 feet long (about 85 boxcars) thus passes over itself going around the loop. Today, the railway line, with almost 40 daily trains on average, is one of the busiest single-track mainlines in the world.  The Loop has been considered one of the greatest engineering feats of its day (1876).  There was a convenient pull off, but I had to hike up a short road and some hillside trails in order to see the tunnel with the track going over it.  The aerial photo I found online.

We had a nice lunch in the town of Tehachapi at what is called the Apple Shed, an interesting, historic restaurant with good food and lots of apple derived gifts and baked goods (of course we had to take a mini-apple-berry pie home for desert that night).

The rest of my Bakersfield stay was a slower paced, typical visiting-family time.

---

After a week in Bakersfield, I rented a car and drove to stay with nephew Steve and his family in Santa Barbara, California.  I had originally planned a casual, carless trip (taking the bus over), but a new twist developed after I had made all these plans.

Daughter Lauren wound up taking a job in Santa Barbara at The Music Academy of the West, leaving her job with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.  For more than 60 years, the Music Academy of the West has provided exceptional young musicians with the opportunity for advanced study and intensive performance in a uniquely beautiful and supportive environment.  Lauren will be the Artistic Program Coordinator, with a number of interesting duties and opportunities.  Her aunt helped her drive out and I added a couple days to my planned time here in order to be able to help.  She and I arrived the same day.  Much time was spent helping Lauren unpack boxes and organize her new mountainside studio apartment in Montecito.  A huge thanks to “Aunt Bonnie” for helping!
Moving in
Nephew Steve and sister-in-law Bonnie were a great help for Lauren's move in.
First meal at the new place!
View from Lauren's road - similar from her kitchen window!

We did get some time in for some sightseeing, thanks to nephew Steve and wife Debbie!  Got to see the Music Academy campus, which is beautiful and only a short walk from the beach.  We got to see the Santa Barbara Mission and some of the beach areas.
New job, new opportunities
Santa Barbara Mission
Also attended church in Santa Barbara, shopped in Ventura and other miscellaneous activities.
Although “mom” was not along for the trip, she was kept abreast of the activities and grateful that Bonnie could help.

Bonnie and I took part of the day on Tuesday to visit the town of Solvang, a Dutch influenced town full of quaint shops, restaurants and excellent bakeries...all of which we partook!


Time marches quickly when you are busy and the days seemed liked minutes and it was time to prepare for the Amtrak Super Chief train back to Chicago.

Nothing like good family times!
Lee, Debbie, Lauren, Taylor, Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment