Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Here we go...

After more than 40 some years of working somewhere nearly every day, I now have the "luxury" of doing some more interesting things, not that my employment wasn't interesting.  I was able to travel all over North America and see things many people never get to.

I will post comments on travel, recollections and things I observe.  The travel part should be easy.  Recall might be a bit more difficult...observations will probably combine both of the first two, plus what might pop into my mind regarding daily occurrences, news, politics, etc.  Hopefully all comments will be of interest to family and a diverse group of friends...

Soon I will be traveling through the Flint Hills of Kansas and on to the Arbor Day Foundation headquarters in Nebraska City, Neb.  You'll find out why when I post comments on the trip.  Later I will be taking the AMTRAK from Chicago to California.  From my sleeper car, I will observe and recall as the train leaves from the area of my birth, through western Illinois and western Iowa and Omaha, where my relatives had roots, on to Denver where I spent many summers.  I hope the trip through the Colorado Rockies will be at the time of peak color for the aspen trees.  The train will go through the famous Feather River Canyon across the Sierras.  I'll be spending time in California with relatives and come back the southern route.  I will write from my sleeper car and post snippets when I can get on line!
                                    Chicago
         Moffat Tunnel goes under the Continental Divide.  I went through there with my grandmother when we took a day trip to Steamboat Springs, when the old  Denver & Rio Grande Western train ran along those  tracks.  She had a summer cabin about 10 miles east of the tunnel.  The Amtrak train will go by that cabin.

In between these trips, Kathy and I will spend a 4-day fun vacation in Chicago, taking a dinner cruise on the Odyssey from Navy Pier, an architectural cruise on the Chicago River and a couple days at the Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, where we attended Kathy's family reunion a couple years ago.

So come back often and enjoy the ride from the past to the future from a retiree's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment